Update: MARCH 11 2017
1. Project Site: A lot of content had been updated in the website. I will be uploading the costs excel file up soon.2. Routes: Route 1 has been binned due to length and transportation costs. We have 4 remaining routes along with a views for your reference in the website. In May there many not be snow at sea level but 50m up in the Glaciers.
3. Permits/ SAR Insurance: I am in touch with the Governor’s office
4. Bamboo Fat Bikes: We will be making the Bikes and we will very soon have to book the maker workshop. Depending on our selected route, the bike design/ components may be affected e.g. studded fatbike tires5. Training: Safety is TOP priority and there will be 2/3 days training in Svalbard. Everyone will know how to deal with a Polar Bear situation and be skilled at using flares/ safety equipment and a weapon if required/ Crevasse Rescue/ Arctic Survival/ Clothing etc. There will be scenarios on training days.6. Flights: Flights are getting expensive but today this is around £5007. Sponsorships: 15% discount from Expedition Foods. I am asking for a more closer relationship with them.8. Transportation: I am working with a few companies like Norwegian/ SAS to explore any collaboration opportunity & local transport if we need them9. Citizen Science: Working with Svalbard university and data collection is dependent on the route as well. I need to get back to them again once we have the Governor’s approval on the route.10. Documentary: Looking to get someone in Svalbard who can help us document the story and has a personal snowmobile and a rifle to help us with the costs as well. Svalbard University may be able to help us find a student. I am coming up with a introductory video this weekend 😉11. Press in UK: Coming up with a strategy to get coverage in Guardian/ Evening Standard etc. and Bike/ Fat Bike Magazines12. Collaboration: Working with Innovation Norway to see if there is any collaboration opportunity13. Fitness Program: Charlie Says: as its not a massive trip, the best thing would be to do cardiovascular work in the gym, get out on the bikes building up the hours you are on it slowly, some leg strengthening in the gym would help also, im guessing they are all fit to a general standard.14. Kit Rental: I am working on the pricing for kit rental in the UK ( from friends and other adventurers) or in Svalbard
1. Check out the topology in the Norwegian Polar Institute Website2. Research how you will get the kit3. Read up on the weather conditions and think about the routes 🙂4. Any connections/ skills that can be useful to make the best of this opportunity – PR / Science/ First Aid/ Rescue Care etc.
1. Get the route approved by the Governor and I am on the case2. Get the deposits to firm commitment levels3. Schedule Bike building workshop